Holiday Meals, Kids and Stomach Aches
During holiday meals it is very easy for all of us, especially kids to eat a variety of food at one setting.
The holiday meal usually consists of a protein (meat source), fats (dairy, eggs, cooking oils, fruits, grains (bread, cakes, pies, cookies, etc.), vegetables, dairy (egg nog, nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, etc.), and so much more.
This variety can be hard on adults but especially on children as their digestive system continues to develop and hopefully strengthen as they get older.
Genetically we are programmed to be able to digest food with particular enzymes that are specific to us. This specificity is heavy related to the areas of the world our ancestors came from.
But with holiday meals, the idea of genetic programming goes out the door!
As a general rule with young ones:
- Try kid food enzymes you can pick up at any health food store. What till they are done eating their meal then give them the enzyme to help digest food more in the middle bowel. TAKE 10-15 minutes after the meal!
- Do your best to avoid mixing their starches or heavy carbs with proteins (meat source).
- Don’t mix heavy fatty or greasy foods with sugary desserts. If desserts are a must then have them avoid any heavy fat foods if it’s at the table.
- Mixing vegetables and fruits with proteins is easier on the digestion.
- Drink more water, kid can drink 1/3 of their body weight in ounces of water to stay hydrated...water also helps them digest food. - Add a kids probiotic into their system. Take before bedtime so the stomach acid won’t affect the good bacteria.
The best results come when children stick to a more paleo type meal-meat, vegetables, and fruits. Then they have their desserts, which gives their digestive chi or energy a chance to catch up during the meal.
Take a look at these suggestions, see what you think. This could keep the kids from Any stomach aches this holiday time.
These are easy steps. Let me know what you think!